Clifford ‘okay’

Jack O’Connor did not entirely allay fears over David Clifford’s fitness this week when he confirmed that the three time All-Star “should be okay” for the All-Ireland Quarter-

Final clash with Mayo on Sunday afternoon in Croke Park.

Rumours have been sweeping the county that all is not well with Clifford and that he is a doubt for Croke Park and we are really none the wiser after the Kerry boss refused to be specific on injuries in the Kerry camp.

O’Connor had said previously of Clifford after their Munster Final win last month: “He’s trained since the Munster Final, so he should be okay. He picked up an injury against Cork. We weren't being clever or anything but we thought it was going to come right but it just took a bit longer to come around than we thought. The medical advice was not to play him in this game. He's gone back doing a bit, away from the full training. He's started doing a bit yeah. I'd say he'll be doing a good share of training next week hopefully.”

Read the full story in tomorrow’s Kerry’s Eye

Ardfert Olympian Tom O’Riordan passes away

Kerry and indeed Irish Athletics is in mourning this week following the sad news on Monday night of the death of Ardfert native Tom O’Riordan at the age of 84 who competed in the Men’s 5000 metres at the 1964 Olympics Games in Tokyo finishing ninth in his first round heat.

A former student of Tralee CBS, he won the All-Ireland Colleges Mile in 1956 making him the first Kerry athlete to win an All-Ireland Colleges Athletics title. After improving his time to 4mins:26secs, Tom had received a scholarship to race collegiately with Idaho State University where he won the 1959 NAIA Men’s Cross-Country title. A winner of nine National Cross-Country and Inter-Club titles, Tom still represented Kerry at athletics for many years despite being based in Dublin when he became the Athletics Correspondent for The Irish Independent newspaper.

Read the full story in tomorrow’s Kerry’s Eye

Club apologises to  players for text message

St Mary’s Basketball Club committee have apologised to its SuperLeague Women’s team members for informing them by text that the side was being withdrawn from competition for the coming season.

In a lengthy response to comments made on team manager Liam Culloty’s Twitter account last week, the committee said it regretted that the players had to find out about the decision via text message, but that it was under time pressure to inform Basketball Ireland’s Women’s Board of its decision.

“The message thanked players for their dedication over the years and apologised that players were not being met in person.  A committee member also phoned all players the following day.

Read the full story in tomorrow’s Kerry’s Eye